Peter Legnani, MD
Seeing Patients at
1150 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1B, New York, NY 10128
Performing endoscopies at
Carnegie Hill Endoscopy
University of Connecticut School of Medicine
Mount Sinai Hospital
Mount Sinai Hospital
Why did you choose to specialize in gastroenterology?
I found gastroenterology to be a dynamic intersection of multiple fields of study and practice. For example, I found that caring for patients with inflammatory bowel diseases during my residency encompassed immunology, preventative medicine, endoscopic evaluation of inflammation and the potential for endoscopic therapies—and that each patient had their own unique psychosocial context that I had to understand so that I could optimize their treatment and provide education about their disease. Since completing fellowship in 2002, gastroenterology has evolved, rapidly improving endoscopic capabilities for colon cancer screening and imaging the small bowel, understanding new disease, and expanding increasingly safe and effective therapies for inflammation. I enjoy participating in collaborative research and education within gastroenterology—to be able to continue this while caring for patients on a daily basis is why I became a gastroenterologist.
What are your areas of special interest and expertise within gastroenterology?
I am particularly interested in inflammatory bowel diseases, small intestinal disorders, colorectal cancer prevention, and endoscopic evaluation of the small intestine.
Do you have any special honors, recognition, or achievements in your medical career that you would like to share?
- Chief Fellow, Gastroenterology, Mount Sinai medical Center, 2001-2002
- Outstanding Teaching Fellow Award, Mount Sinai Medical center, May 2001
- Hope Babette Tang Research Fellow, Mount Sinai Medical Center, 2001-2002
- Outstanding Teaching Attending, Gastroenterology, 2013, 2018
- Castle Connelly Top Doctor, New York
- Invited Lecture, “Capsule Endoscopy in Crohn’s Disease”, Digestive Disease Week, 2019
- Faculty/Course Director, ASGE Capsule Endoscopy Courses, 2005-7, 2009-15
- Faculty, NYSGE, Capsule Endoscopy Users Course, 2006-14
What do you and your family enjoy doing during your spare time?
During our free time, we enjoy traveling, playing sports (volleyball, golf, basketball), going to the beach, and trying new and interesting recipes when we entertain our friends and family.